Friday, 20 February 2015

Niger troops sent to 'crush' Boko Haram in Nigeria

Niger's parliament has voted unanimously to send troops to Nigeria to join a regional fight against the armed Boko Haram group.

The announcement late on Monday night came a day after a senior Nigerian official said Abuja's government would "take out" all of the group's camps by March 28 - the new date for the country's elections which have been delayed by six weeks.
Niger troops sent to 'crush' Boko Haram in Nigeria

Niger, while housing thousands of refugees who fled from the conflict, had been mainly spared the violence until last week, with a number of attacks carried out on its territory in recent days.

"The pooling of the efforts and resources of concerned countries will contribute without doubt to crushing this group which shows scorn, through its barbaric acts, for the Muslim religion," Niger National Assembly President Adamou Salifou said after the vote, according to the AFP news agency.

Another member of parliament said the resolution authorised the country to send some 750 troops to Nigeria.

On Monday, Nigeria's National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuk, said the country's general election will not be moved again and that all known camps belonging Boko Haram will be destroyed in the next six weeks.

"All known Boko Haram camps will be taken out. They won't be there. They will be dismantled," Dasuki said.

Opposition leader against postponement

The leader of the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC), former General Muhammadu Buhari, exclusively told Al Jazeera on Sunday that the elections should not have been postponed.

"There is no need for it [the delay]," he said.

"If the same military cannot secure 14 local governorates out of 774 in six years, how can they be sure they can secure those 14 in six weeks?"

On Saturday, Nigeria and its neighbours – Chad, Niger, Cameroon and Benin – agreed to muster 8,700 troops, police and civilians for a wider, African Union-backed force against Boko Haram.

Boko Haram fighters have been centred in northeastern Nigeria, where they have seized swathes of territory. The conflict has killed more than 13,000 people since 2009.

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies

Copyright © Africa 24 News. All rights reserved. Distributed by Africa Metro Global Media (www.africametros.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

Africa 24 News publishes around multiple reports a day from more than 40 news organizations and over 100 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which Africa 24 News does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify Africa 24 News as the publisher are produced or commissioned by Africa 24 News. To address comments or complaints, Please Contact Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *