Monday, 4 December 2017

Breaking News - Cameroon Secessionists Vow To Fight Despite Biya's War Declaration

Leaders of Cameroon’s separatist group have vowed to continue their attacks against security officials deployed to the restive Anglophone region.

Their move is seen as calling the bluff of President Paul Biya who recently said their ‘criminal’ attacks were going to be halted.

Reuters News Agency quotes two leaders of the Ambazonian Governing Council (AGC), as having confirmed that they were involved in the deadly attacks that claimed the lives of four soldiers and two policemen last week.

We will dismantle all of these military outposts that have been used to prosecute the occupation of our homeland

“One of the main objectives is to clear the checkpoints that they have put on our roads. They are the symbols of occupation,” Ben Kuah, the chairman of the defense wing of AGCtold a Reuters reporter in Dakar.

“We will dismantle all of these military outposts that have been used to prosecute the occupation of our homeland,” said Cho Ayaba, another leading member of the AGC.
Breaking News - Cameroon Secessionists Vow To Fight Despite Biya's War Declaration
President Paul Biya, last week declared war on the secessionts after they attacked and killed two policemen in the Southwest region. The two Anglophone regions of Cameroon – the southwest and northwest are under curfew following similar attacks.

What started out as a protest against marginalization by French – majority Cameroon has culminated into an armed confrontation that has seen about 10 security forces killed so far. The government has issued an international arrest warrant for over a dozen leaders of the AGC.

The ‘Anglophone crisis’ is a political agitation by minority English – speaking population in the two regions. They have long protested marginalization by majority French population and sought to declare independence on October 1, 2017; under the Ambazonia republic name.

The attempt was met with heavy security clampdown which led to eight deaths as per official records. Rights group Amnesty International put the figure at 17. Hundreds of people were injured and mass detention especially of young people took place.

Others have fled into Nigeria following the clashes especially in the wake of deadly fightback by separatists on Cameroonian troops.


Copyright © Africa 24 News. All rights reserved. Distributed by Africa Metro Global Media (www.africametros.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

Africa 24 News publishes around multiple reports a day from more than 40 news organizations and over 100 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which Africa 24 News does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify Africa 24 News as the publisher are produced or commissioned by Africa 24 News. To address comments or complaints, Please Contact Us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *